[Buildroot] [Question] Including only needed makefiles?

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Thu Feb 18 00:02:30 UTC 2016

On 17-02-16 10:59, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Yamada-san, Thomas, All,
>
> On 2016-02-17 09:11 +0100, Thomas Petazzoni spake thusly:
>> On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 13:00:26 +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
>>> I am not an active developer of Buildroot.
>>> Apology if I am asking a silly question.
>> Your question is not silly at all!
>
> Indeed. No question is stupid. You're welcome to ask.
>
> [--SNIP--]
>>> [2]
>>> If we achieve the perfect dependency in Kconfig,
>>> perhaps can we include makefiles that are really
>>> enabled by Kconfig?   For example, like this?
>>>
>>> pkg-$(BR2_PACKAGE_BUSYBOX) += busybox
>>> pkg-$(BR2_PACKAGE_LAME)    += lame
>>> pkg-$(BR2_PACKAGE_GZIP)    += gzip
>>>
>>> include $(addprefix packages, $(addsuffix Makefike, $(pkg-y)))
>>
>> I propose such a change two years ago, see my RFC patch series at:
>>
>>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-March/092548.html
>>
>> The main complexity is that while target packages all have a Config.in
>> options, it is not the case for host packages. And therefore, changing
>> to a per package makefile inclusion requires adding lots and lots of
>> Config.in options for host packages.
>>
>> Another issue (explained in the cover letter) was that we could no
>> longer use sub-directories in packages, such as
>> package/qt5/qt5base/qt5base.mk.
>
> Well, except with Yamada's proposal (or something similar), we could
> explicitly manage the sub-directories, like so:
>
>     pkg-$(BR2_PACKAGE_FOO) += foo
>     pkg-$(BR2_PACKAGE_BAR) += sub-dir/bar

 One big problem with this: what to do with host packages?

>     -include $(addprefix packages/,$(foreach p,$(pkg),$(p)/$(notdir $(p)).mk))
>
> Of course, that means explicitly listing all packages, instead of the
> current glob-include. But sinc ewe're already explicitly source-ing
> Config.in files, this would make it symetric for the .mk files as well.

 I have the feeling this is going to be an added maintainance burden. Or at
least, a burden for adding packages. But it's not really that big a deal.

 We'd have to think about what to do with the subdirectories though.

>> If you look at the feedback of the patch series, it was generally quite
>> positive, but this needs more work, and is only saving a few seconds of
>> make parsing, which are not such a big deal. So the effort is fairly
>> big for limited savings.
>
> Indeed, I don't believe the few startup seconds are that problematic.
> Yes, they are annoying.

 They're horribly annoying. I'm an avid user of bash-completion and my tab key
remains pressed virtually continuously. So I'm all the time going 'make
busy<TAB>' Argh!

 Regards,
 Arnout