[Buildroot] problem adding new package libcapn

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Feb 17 00:28:46 UTC 2016

On 16-02-16 22:45, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 22:39:26 +0100, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>
>>> 1) I am not sure how the git submodule update --init is handled in buildroot.
>>
>>  If you need it, then you have to:
>>
>> - add an EXTRA_DOWNLOADS of the tarball (using the github macro);
>>
>> - add a POST_EXTRACT_HOOKS to extract the tarball in the right subdirectory.
>
> I have the impression that this 'git submodule' thing is used more and
> more, and that Buildroot not having support to automatically fetch
> submodules is causing troubles to a number of people.

 I think what we really see more and more is that packages are distributed
straight from git instead of through release tarballs. Tarballs often have the
submodules handled properly.

> Not later than today, a colleague of mine also asked me about this,
> since he is packaging something that uses submodules.
>
> But very often, submodules are used to "bundle" libraries that should
> rather be packaged as separate packages.

 But in that case there is often a tight dependency between them, which makes
unbundling tough and usually unwanted by upstream. WebEngine is the perfect example.

 Actually, we are doing a kind of bundling as well (or at least, having tight
dependencies) by fixating a specific version of each package, and worse yet by
patching them.

 Regards,
 Arnout