[Buildroot] BuildRoot cannot build powerpc64

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Thu Aug 18 18:02:31 UTC 2016

On 17-08-16 19:37, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 15:33:30 +0000, ANDY KENNEDY wrote:
>
>> Our RFS we like to have static, so that we can throw libs into
>> the system @ runtime without breaking our stable RFS.
>>
>> Based upon your e-mail, I dropped into the uclibc dependencies
>> it wouldn’t build.  My guess is that the T-series parts haven't
>> been added to uClibC-ng yet, which is why it isn't selectable.
>>
>> Thus, the answer to my question is "it is by design".
>
> The only C library that supports PowerPC64 today is glibc.
>
> But glibc does not support static linking.
>
> Hence there is no solution to do a statically linked rootfs on
> PowerPC64 today.

 Perhaps we should remove the static/shared libs options to the toolchain menu,
and make them depend on the libc choice rather than the other way round. That
way, we're sure that we never run into such impossible situations.

 Actually also some other options are more fitting in the toolchain menu IMHO,
like debug/optimization options and SSP.

 Regards,
 Arnout