[Buildroot] BuildRoot cannot build powerpc64

ANDY KENNEDY ANDY.KENNEDY at adtran.com
Wed Aug 17 15:33:30 UTC 2016

Thanks for the info Ricardo!

> Hi Andy,
>
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 07:43 PM, ANDY KENNEDY <ANDY.KENNEDY at adtran.com> wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I just downloaded 2016_08rc-1 and attempted to build an RFS for the
> > T-series PowerPC parts, which, I assume, are powerpc64 and e5500.  In
> > doing so, after I select powerpc64 I cannot select any library for the
> > toolchain as all of the config dependencies appear to be excluding
> > powerpc64 in the options.
> >
> > Is this by design or oversight?
>
> With Ubuntu 16.04 I can reproduce the behavior only after selecting static libs.
>
> BR2_powerpc64=y
> BR2_powerpc_e5500=y
> BR2_STATIC_LIBS=y
>
> Maybe you can unblock your work if static build is not a strict requirement.

Our RFS we like to have static, so that we can throw libs into
the system @ runtime without breaking our stable RFS.

Based upon your e-mail, I dropped into the uclibc dependencies
|| BR2_powerpc64, which made it selectable.  Problem is that
it wouldn’t build.  My guess is that the T-series parts haven't
been added to uClibC-ng yet, which is why it isn't selectable.

Thus, the answer to my question is "it is by design".

Thanks for the help, though!

Andy