[Buildroot] Project configuration management

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Apr 6 14:52:17 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 22:45:45 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

> > The mechanism we typically advise in such situation is to use defconfig
> > fragments, and assemble them as needed to create the configuration you
> > feed into Buildroot. A shell script (or other) can help generating the
> > configuration fed into Buildroot from the fragments.
>
>   And that shell script exists already: support/kconfig/merge_config.sh

That's not exactly the sort of script I was thinking of. I was thinking
of a more high-level, project specific script, like maybe:

	genconfig -h <hwplatform> -s <softwarestack> -r <releasetype>

or anything like that, which would internally have the knowledge of
which fragments to use for which aspect (HW platform, software stack,
etc.). Of course, internally, this script can use merge_config.sh, but
having a more high-level script might help users to more easily
generate their Buildroot configuration.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons