[Buildroot] Building system for the Marvell's ARMADA A385 borad to resolve the VLAN trunk issue

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Sep 25 07:53:26 UTC 2015

Hello,

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 09:41:50 +0200, Peter Korsgaard wrote:

> >> Couldn't we just do a single defconfig that builds all the dtb files and
>  >> then add a README describing what dtb / how to boot on the various
>  >> boards?
>
>  > Right, we could do that. But it's really as simple as taking some
>  > random mainline kernel version and build mvebu_v7_defconfig. It's not a
>  > defconfig that has a lot of added-value.
>
> Ok, and the Marvell u-boot supports zImage / separate dtb or do you need
> to play tricks with appended dtb?

Depends on the version of the bootloader. On modern ones (375, 38x)
there's no problem (except you need to set some magic fdt_skip_update
U-Boot variable to prevent the vendor U-Boot from doing nasty FDT
updates). On Armada 370/XP, the situation is a bit more complicated:
very old vendor bootloaders map registers at a different address than
recent bootloaders, and they don't all support FDT booting, so you have
to use appended DTB.

> Anything related to the bootloader that is worthwhile documenting?

Lots :)

Actually, I've been thinking for some time doing some kind of
eLinux.org portal/page about the Marvell EBU boards, because there's
quite a few tricks.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons