[Buildroot] Building system for the Marvell's ARMADA A385 borad to resolve the VLAN trunk issue

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Sep 21 22:49:52 UTC 2015

On 22-09-15 00:28, Lee, Tommy wrote:
[snip]
> My Buildroot .config file has following six lines relevant to this subject:
>

> BR2_ENDIAN="LITTLE"
>
> BR2_cortex_a9=y
>
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_USE_DEFCONFIG=y
>
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_DEFCONFIG="mvebu_v7"
>
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_USE_INTREE_DTS=y
>
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_INTREE_DTS_NAME="armada-385-db-ap"
>

> My built kernel zImage has a root file system integrated. My U-Boot “bootz
> 0x02000000 – 0x01000000’ command successfully booted my board.

 Your original mail sounded like you didn't even manage to boot the board.

> However, to
> enable VLAN for my work, the network interface connected to a local segment,
> used as the VLAN trunk, cannot ping out to a peer system on the segment.

 So what does that mean? VLAN doesn't work? Or networking doesn't work at all?
Does mvebu_v7 have VLAN enabled?

> I booted up my board using Marvell’s kernel zImage and DTB. There exists no such
> VLAN trunk reachability problem at all.
>
> Marvells totally gave me three DTB files, I tried my zImage and all them, one at
> time. Unfortunately the VLAN trunk problem still exists.

 If it's just VLAN and not networking in general, it sounds like a kernel config
issue and not a dts issue.

> With the belief that
> the problem is in the configuration of my kernel,

 Exactly :-)

> Last week I used the “make
> linux-menuconfig” command and created my kernel .config file using the following
> two lines replacing the above DECONFIG lines.
>

> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_USE_CUSTOM_CONFIG=y
>
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_CONFIG_FILE="board/armada385/.config"
>

> Because of the discovery I mentioned in my preceding email, I quit the “make
> linux-menuconfig” process and reported the issue this morning.

 What discovery?

> Taking your suggestion, I will rebuild my kernel zImage and DTB with
> “BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_INTREE_DTS_NAME="armada-388-db-ap” setting, to see whether the
> VLAN trunk reachability problem can be resolved.

 Well, that's what you tried before, no?

 Regards,
 Arnout

 PS We prefer non-HTML mails on this list, and also proper quoting in replies.