[Buildroot] [RFC 3/6] system: add mdev-only /dev management (without devtmpfs)

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Sep 14 22:23:12 UTC 2015

On 14-09-15 15:47, Luca Ceresoli wrote:
> Dear Thomas,
>
> Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
>> Dear Luca Ceresoli,
>>
>> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 14:29:36 +0200, Luca Ceresoli wrote:
[snip]
>>> This would slightly change the current behaviour for all cases, and
>>> start S01logging after mdev, not before. I tested it quickly and it
>>> looks like it works. Can you think of any problem with moving S10mdev
>>> to S00mdev?
>>
>> In principle, it seems better to me if the devices are all set up
>> before starting anything else, so if it works, I'm all for S00mdev. The
>> only question is whether mdev logs things to syslog, and if so what
>> happens to those messages that are emitted before syslog is started.
>
> At a quick code inspection it looks like mdev does not use syslog.
> I'll do some testing.

 mdev doesn't but any script it calls might.

 Also, if a crash happens during mdev coldplugging, it's an advantage if the
kernel messages can be captured by syslog.

 So I'd prefer to keep syslog before mdev.

 FYI: systemd starts journald and udev in parallel (at least as far as I can
make out from the service files).

 Regards,
 Arnout