[Buildroot] Add [user at host dir] back to skeleton /etc/profile

David Van Arnem dvanarnem at cmlab.biz
Tue Oct 6 22:59:06 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I noticed there was a commit pushed Saturday (f93c692c) which removed
some bash-specific stuff from the skeleton shell profile in
/etc/profile.  The default behavior for the shell prompt now is to only
display "$" or "#", without the [user at host dir] prefix.  I just
subscribed to the list today so I missed out on any discussion on this;
was there a reason the [user at host dir] prefix was not left in the
changes ("export PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "")?  I have not encountered a Linux
distribution that does not display this or a similar prompt, and I think
it would be beneficial to add it back in.  I agree that the aliases,
colors, etc should stay removed.

Thanks,
David