[Buildroot] BR2_EXTERNAL - Broken in 2015.08.01????

Stephen Beckwith embeddedsteve at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 13:16:33 UTC 2015

I'm having an issue getting code to build using a BR2_EXTERNAL setup with
the 2015.08.01 release of Buildroot.
The Config.in file structure works just fine, the options specified show up
in menuconfig and are selectable.  Defined CONFIG items (MUST they be
BR2_XXXX names?) are listed at the bottom of the top level .config (using
an "out of tree" build setup. . . )
However, when I try to build the extra code, nothing happens.  This code is
just simple "hello world" programs in a custom directory structure, using
the generic-package setup.
My initial attempt did produce some make errors, so I know build-root was
parsing through the make files, but fixes to remove the warnings results in
NO makes being run to compile and add the code to the build.
I've reviewed the Slides & Lab Notes posted on-line from this years
training session and reviewed the manual.  I have NO idea what's missing
here.
And yes, I have a .br-external file in the out of tree build directory
(board as has been recommended - is this a MUST for Buildroot?) that is
pointing to the external tree.
I would GREATLY appreciate access to the magic decoder ring that will allow
me to build this extra code as part of my embedded linux system.

How many directory levels are allowed in an external tree?

Your expertise and quick response is GREATLY appreciated!
Regards,
EmbeddedSteve