[Buildroot] Analysis of build failures

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue May 19 15:48:44 UTC 2015

Alexey,

On Tue, 19 May 2015 13:49:46 +0000, Alexey Brodkin wrote:

> > /tmp/ccQkdXjH.s: Assembler messages:
> > /tmp/ccQkdXjH.s: Error: unaligned opcodes detected in executable segment
> > make[2]: *** [.obj/release-shared-emb-generic/qxquerytokenizer.o] Error 1
> >
> > Alexey, can you have a look? Thanks!
>
> Well this is sort of expected failure. Even though I have never tried
> building vanilla Qt for ARC, but as it turned out that doesn't work.
>
> But we've been sitting for a while on Qt4 patches that enable building
> for and running on ARC. And now decision has been made to finally submit
> those pretty simple patches upstream and in parallel (until patches are
> accepted and the next minor release of Qt 4.x is cut.. if ever) add
> patches in Buildroot so people may happily build and run Qt on ARC.
>
> I'll send patches shortly.

Great, that would be nice.

> As for Qt5:
>  [1] It requires tools with NPTL which (I really hope) will be available
> for ARC in few weeks, but until that time we may not worry about Qt5 for
> ARC - it won't be built.

Yes, and since our Qt5 package depends on
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_HAS_THREADS_NPTL, Buildroot doesn't try to build it on
ARC, so we're fine.

>  [2] Once ARC toolchain with NPTL is in Buildroot we'll need to cook
> something similar to what we've done for Qt4 and I hope it will really
> be that same simple. But probably for starters we'll disable Qt5 for
> ARC.

That's already the case, see above.

> BTW if I'm not mistaken (and "git log" is my witness) it was you who
> initially added Qt5 support in Buildroot, so I may assume you have some
> experience with that animal and if so I would really like to ask you to
> do my first external reviewer of Qt patch for ARC (for Qt4 now and Qt5
> later).

Well, don't assume too much about my Qt5 knowledge. I've indeed done
the initial packaging, so I have a limited knowledge of the Qt5 build
system, but it doesn't go much beyond that. The rest of Qt5 remains
largely a thing I've never looked at. But I will be happy to look at
your patches. I think what we will be the most interested in is to make
sure that the effort to push them upstream is being done, but I know
you have a good track record of pushing ARC related fixes to the
relevant upstream projects, so I'm really not worried at all about this.

Thanks a lot!

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons