[Buildroot] Generating Debug Info Files

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri May 15 13:12:18 UTC 2015

Dear John OSullivan,

On Fri, 15 May 2015 12:05:25 +0100, John OSullivan wrote:

> Thanks for your reply, I already have debugging symbols on for the test
> application running on my target but perf still complains:
> Failed to open test_application, continuing without symbols

Ok.

> The file has symbols and is not stripped and gdb has no problem finding
> the symbols so I think the issue is that perf is expecting to find the
> symbols in some separate file, its difficult to get clarity on this but
> I believe that in Ubuntu you would install a debug package, I believe
> this installs separate files with symbol information in certain
> locations like for example /usr/lib/.debug for libraries.
> I was going to try and do something similar with my buildroot file
> system to see if it resolved the perf problem.

I am not sure that having the debugging symbols in a separate file
makes a difference here. It's indeed the way desktop/server distros
such as Ubuntu distribute the debugging symbols, but I 'm not sure it
will make a difference for perf.

Maybe perf needs some dependency such as libunwind to be able to use
the debugging symbols?

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons