[Buildroot] [RFC 00/11] common init infrastructure

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Sun Mar 22 13:34:00 UTC 2015

On 22/03/15 14:23, Alex Suykov wrote:
> Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 12:28:07PM +0100, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
[snip]
>> Otherwise, I have a feeling this is pushing things a bit too far. I'm
>> usually very happy with "abstraction" and I more than once have pushed
>> for such changes. However, in this area, I'm a bit sceptic as to whether
>> we should introduce our own "initscript" format (the '.run' files).
> That's a valid point, but I think buildroot already uses its own
> initscript format, namely its sysv(-style) initscripts.
>
> They are supplied with buildroot, they are non-standard, and they are
> nearly useless outside of buildroot.
>
> So I see it a choice between different formats for buildroot-specific
> service description, and the one currently in use does not look like
> a good data storage format at all.

 The point is that the shell scripts provided by buildroot are just shell, so
"anyone" can understand and modify them. While the .run format is something new
that nobody knows, and even if it is documented it will be non-trivial to find
the documentation.

 That's also why I say that the .run format should be verbose, to make it easy
to read and modify.

 Regards,
 Arnout