[Buildroot] Buildroot on OSX

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Sat Mar 21 22:04:04 UTC 2015

Hi,

>> I was just asked if it was possible to use Buildroot natively on a
 >> Mac. I recommended that he just build in a Linux VM. However, after
 >> playing around at command line and learning about Homebrew, it looked
 >> like it may not be too far off especially since Buildroot builds so
 >> much itself. Ignoring external toolchains which I would assume
 >> wouldn't work, has anyone done this?

 > Once I tried to do this, but there wasn't much interest to carry
 > needed patches in buildroot. It is hard to get these Darwin-to-Linux
 > cross-compile patches into upstream projects.
 > Recently I discussed some of the patches I am using in OpenADK with
 > a friend and we will try to reduce them and do it in a better way,
 > which might even be usable for buildroot.

In general, using anything else than a Linux system to build Linux
systems is bound to cause extra issues. To my knowledge, nobody uses
Buildroot with a !Linux host on any regular schedule.

I don't mind simple fixes, but users on !Linux should not expect full
functionality, and I am not interested in carrying any big / feature
patches for it.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard