[Buildroot] Buildroot on OSX

Waldemar Brodkorb wbx at openadk.org
Fri Mar 20 18:08:22 UTC 2015

Hi Frank,
Frank Hunleth wrote,

> Hi,
>
> I was just asked if it was possible to use Buildroot natively on a
> Mac. I recommended that he just build in a Linux VM. However, after
> playing around at command line and learning about Homebrew, it looked
> like it may not be too far off especially since Buildroot builds so
> much itself. Ignoring external toolchains which I would assume
> wouldn't work, has anyone done this?

Once I tried to do this, but there wasn't much interest to carry
needed patches in buildroot. It is hard to get these Darwin-to-Linux
cross-compile patches into upstream projects.
Recently I discussed some of the patches I am using in OpenADK with
a friend and we will try to reduce them and do it in a better way,
which might even be usable for buildroot.

So for now, you could play with OpenADK, which I use to
cross-compile Linux Embedded stuff on my Mac with Homebrew.

best regards
 Waldemar