[Buildroot] [V2 2/2] graph-depends: add an option --stop-on-virtual

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Sat Mar 14 16:26:57 UTC 2015

Thomas, François, All,

On 2015-03-09 21:15 +0100, Thomas Petazzoni spake thusly:
> On Mon, 9 Mar 2015 20:32:16 +0100, François Perrad wrote:
> > The current option --depth seems to be only a workaround against an
> > infinite recursion when the graph has a cycle.
>
> Well, I don't really think --depth is meant to avoid infinite
> recursion: I don't think it's possible to have infinite recursion since
> we can't have cyclic dependencies in Buildroot.

No, -depth was never meant to be a stop-gap for recursion: we can *not*
have recursive depedencies.

What I introduced --depth for, is because often only the first few level
of dependencies of a given package are of interest. --depth is
essentially meant for use when graphing the dependencies of a single
package, like so:

    BR2_GRAPH_DEPS_OPTS='--depth 2' make foo-graph-depends

that would limit graphinh the dependencies of 'foo' down to two levels.

> > But at this time, we haven't found the good way (or the good use
> > cases) to limit the size of the graph.
>
> I believe being able to exclude certain packages (and their dependency
> tree) would be useful.

What about something like:

    BR2_GRAPH_DEPS_OPTS='--stop-on PKGS' make graph-depends

where 'PKGS' would be a comma-separated list of packages, possibly a
glob or regexp, or even the keyword 'virtual' to stop on virtual
packages?

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.