[Buildroot] B3+external kernel: not quite sure how to make these pieces fit ...

g4 at novadsp.com g4 at novadsp.com
Wed Jun 24 19:06:35 UTC 2015

Want to automate building kernel and filesystem for Beaglebones.

The kernel itself is the mainline 4.x with a set of patches applied from
Robert Nelson's (RCN) GIT repo.

Problem is that there is no mechanism for file system construction/
packaging. Obviously Buildroot to the rescue here.

I thought I'd start by trying to get BR to use the existing external
toolchain - specifying 'toolchain path' as
'~/rcn/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.9-2014.09_linux'

But this fails with 'External toolchain uses the unsuported OABI'. There is
an old reference to this here:
http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/commit/?id=b2e88073dbf05faa47475bf96d5ccf
8a45906a3c

I don't see any conflict with the target settings. Is there a solution or is
this a more fundamental/complex issue?

This obviously begs the question of how the externally built kernel gets
into the BR mix but I'll leave that for next time.

Thx++

--------------------snip--------------------

Target Architecture (ARM (little endian))  --->
x x

  x x                Target Binary Format (ELF)  --->
x x

  x x                Target Architecture Variant (cortex-A8)  --->
x x

  x x                Target ABI (EABIhf)  --->
x x

  x x                Floating point strategy (VFPv3-D16)  --->
x x

  x x                ARM instruction set (ARM)  --->