[Buildroot] support for cortex m3/m4 with newlib

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Jan 16 08:22:26 UTC 2015

Hello,

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 17:57:32 -0500, Cjw X wrote:

> I've been working on modifying buildroot to support cortex m3/m4 processors
> against the newlib library.
>
> This way I can use buildroot to build RTOS's for those processors. I've
> been using buildroot for years to build linux systems and I would like to
> expand that for the smaller processors with different operating systems.
>
> I am making some progress. The toolchain already works. I'm now starting to
> go down the road of supporting RTOS's.
>
> I'm going to keep going regardless, but I wanted to check to find out if
> this interests the community.
>
> Does this interest people?

Support for Cortex-M3/M4 based platforms is definitely interesting.
However, I'm wondering if it really makes sense for Buildroot to
support non-Linux operating systems. To me, the main value of Buildroot
is the 1200+ packages that we have, and all of them are based on the
fact that you run a Linux kernel underneath.

What would Buildroot do for a newlib based system, except building the
toolchain? If it's really only about building the toolchain, then maybe
using Crosstool-NG is a better idea, since it already has newlib
support if I remember correctly.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons