[Buildroot] sysroot

Mathew Benson mathew.benson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 18:42:54 UTC 2015

First, I'm not complaining.  I recently discovered Buildroot and I love
it.  Kudos to the maintainers.  I'm just learning it so I'm fumbling about
a bit.

I'm building a networked appliance that will run two applications.  Both
applications are already written.  One I wrote and maintained myself over
the past 4 years, but its 32 bit.  Upgrading it to 64 bit would have a
massive impact on other projects.  Its planned.  Just not for a little
while.  The other application is being written but requires 64 bit
drivers.  The drivers are not open source, so I don't have access to the
code.  The CPU is a 64 bit Intel to accommodate the 64 bit driver.  I did
get it almost working.  I verified I can run 32-bit applications by
compiling host code, copying it over, and copying the needed 32 bit
libraries over.  Obviously not the best solution.  I got it to cross
compile 32 bit, with manual tweaks.  I had to change several .so linker
scripts from "/lib" and "/usr/lib" to "/lib32" and "/usr/lib32", and
changing symbolic links in "/usr/lib32" from "/lib" to "/lib32".  I see
that buildroot is not intended for this use case, so I'm ok with my manual
work around.

Though, I haven't quite got it to run correctly.  Its either a dynamic
linking issue or just a misconfigured buildroot image.  When I run my
executable, I get an error that suggests the system is interpreting the elf
binary as a shell script.  I'm not sitting at that computer, so I can't
copy the exact error.  Something like "error:  unexpected "("".

I did create a 32 bit and a 64 bit buildroot environment.  I had merged
them into a single multilib 64 bit environment, though now I'm thinking it
would just be cleaner to keep them separate.