[Buildroot] Nginx package

Danomi Manchego danomimanchego123 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 15:46:59 UTC 2015

On Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
> Geoffrey,
>
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 13:14:31 +0100, Geoffrey Ragot wrote:
>
>> the pb is that luajit (in the context) is not a builtin module of nginx.
>> It has to be built in a directory and nginx has to be compiled with
>> "--add-module <path_to_luajit>".
>>
>> The nginx package has an option to specify "--add-module" arguments but
>> in this case, the dependency is not clearly mentionned in nginx.mk.
>> I have to care about build luajit before nginx to ensure that
>> <path_to_luajit> contains required files.
>
> I see two options here:
>
>  (1) If you really need to have the source of the Nginx Lua module
>      extracted before building nginx in order to use the --add-module
>      option, then you will have to create a package like nginx-lua,
>      that only downloads/extracts the module source code (and does not
>      build/install it). Then you change the nginx package to depend on
>      this nginx-lua package, and you pass --add-module=$(NGINX_LUA_DIR).
>
>  (2) If however, it is possible to build nginx-lua after nginx, then
>      you can do a better and more traditional packaging. Even though
>      they document --add-module as being the way of building nginx-lua,
>      all it seems to do during nginx configure is calling the "config"
>      script from nginx-lua, and then the "config.make" script. So I am
>      pretty sure it is possible to build nginx-lua after nginx.
>
> If it is possible, (2) would be preferred.
>
> Note that this is clearly not a trivial package to create.

FWIW: I had to do option 1 for a few ngx-* packages, as Thomas
described: for each one. I made an ngx-xxx package that simply
extracts, added a sub-option to nginx's Config.in file, and then added
lines to the end of nginx.mk to add ngx-xxx to NGINX_DEPENDENCIES, and
the additional --add-module term.  The result is that the additional
source files are built and linked in to the one single nginx
executable - no .so option.

That was maybe six months ago.  At around that time, I heard that
nginx would eventually be introducing better support to have these
things be more like plugins or shared objects so that this mechanism
wouldn't be needed.  That sounded hopeful, but we needed an immediate
solution.  Even if the feature had been ready, we would have preferred
to use a "stable" nginx release rather than depending on a brand new
feature in the "mainline" release.

Danomi -