[Buildroot] [psa] various server software upgrades

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Tue Dec 8 07:50:48 UTC 2015

Hi,

>> So how about if we drop the global HSTS headers and http->https
 >> redirects for now and then move a bit more slowly forward sub domain by
 >> subdomain:
 >>
 >> 1: Enable https next to http and verify that it works
 >> 2: Add http->https redirect and verify that it works
 >> 3: add HSTS header

 > we're already at (3).  even if we weren't, i don't see how transitioning
 > would affect the SNI issue.  the question is simple: how long do you want
 > to (try to) support old systems where people refuse to fix their setup ?

The new setup causes more problems than just SNI. The wget issues are
important for sources.buildroot.{net,org}, but not for E.G. bugzilla.

As I said, it is a question about tradeoffs, and the tradeoffs may be
different for each subdomain.

> we're talking about systems that are over three years old (wget-1.14 was
 > released in Aug 2012).  what is your cut off ?  3 years ?  4 years ?  i'd
 > also highlight <wget-1.16 versions have at least one security vuln that
 > can be remotely exploited (when you download via ftp -- CVE-2014-4877).

For sources.* (and preferably the buildroot tarballs themselves) I would
prefer it to work even with a wget without SNI support.

I haven't checked the autobuilders (I believe the build script uses
curl), but there we possibly have the same issue.

For bugzilla I don't have any issues requiring SNI and HTTPS.

 >> I agree, old systems are a pain - But we do try to keep buildroot
 >> working on various enterprise distributions when possible. So far we've
 >> worked around SNI issues by using http URLs from those locations instead
 >> (and verifying against our local hashes).

 > that doesn't help when sites transition to http->https redirects such as
 > uclibc.org now does.

Indeed, which is why I would prefer to disable that for
*.buildroot.{org,net}, with the possibly exception of
bugs.buildroot.{org,net}.

--
Venlig hilsen,
Peter Korsgaard