[Buildroot] .hash files for all packages?

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Tue Aug 11 08:55:45 UTC 2015

Thomas, All,

On 2015-08-11 10:13 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni spake thusly:
> On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 22:47:25 +0200, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > I think the overall goal is to have .hash files for all packages. Having
> > a .hash files for all packages would allow us to make hashes truly
> > mandatory, and make a missing .hash file an error, rather than the
> > warning it is today.
> >
> > Which in turn would ensure we have hashes for all packages for which it
> > makes sense.
> >
> > Of course, that would mean adding a 'none' hash for those packages for
> > which we can't have  ahash (like the github helper, or any git/svn/...
> > checkouts.
> >
> > So, what Jörg did was in my opinion correct, even if we did not
> > explicitly document that! ;-)
>
> Ok. I'm a bit worried about having 220 useless hash files,

The problem we have when there is no .hash file, is that we can't
differentiate those two cases;
  - there is no hash for this package, because it does not make sense
    (github helper, git/svn/foo checkout...)
  - we forgot to add a hash for that package.

I can understand that having lots of similarly looking files that jsut
say "don't do hash checks" might seem a bit worrying at first.

But I do think we really do need a way to explicitly say so.

Adding Gustavo in Cc because we already talked about that with him, and
last we discussed this, I think he agreed (well, I have IRC logs to back
that claim up! ;-] )

> so I'd like
> to hear the opinion of others on that. And once we made our decision,
> document it more clearly.

Yes, it should be throughly documented.

But note: this will have an impact on BR2_EXTERNAL trees; they will also
have to provide .hash files for their packages.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.