[Buildroot] Any ideas about mechanism of updating software/firmware?

Xuebing Wang xbing6 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 06:35:53 UTC 2015

Hi Community,

I am new to Buildroot. I am developing a commercial product based on
Buildroot 2014.02, and I need the mechanism to update software/firmware
of the product.

Here are some of my thought:
1) In eMMC, there is a partition which can be exported to PC via USB
mass storage.
2( Once u-boot detects a special key-combination or new file in
above-mentioned eMMC partition, u-boot boots a special kernel with
initramfs.
3) In above-mentioned kernel + initramfs, it compares version buildroot
distribution kernel (/etc/issue) and version+build number embedded in
the filename of in the partition above.
3.1) If a new version is found, it updates u-boot / kernel / rootfs.

Is it a good practice to update 'system/skeleton/etc/issue' when a new
version will be 'git tag'ed and built?

Thanks.

--
Xuebing