[Buildroot] Kernel panic - unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0, 0) - i486

Pongrácz István pongracz.istvan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 20:34:44 UTC 2015

 Hi,

I have a problem with booting kernel built by buildroot on i486. The kernel (3.18.x) panicked: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I use the latest buildroot, the target is i486. I used a kernel config from a known working older kernel and double checked, all ext2/ext3 etc. built directly to the kernel, so, seems every necessary drivers built directly to the kernel (not as modules).

I tried to boot from usb. There is no initramfs (initrd).

If I get a different kernel from an other system, which is working, and I started the buildroot generated system with that kernel, it can boot as expected. Same kernel parameters.

Does it sound familiar to somebody?

My goal is to get a console based system optimized to i486, including kernel.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

István