[Buildroot] [RFC] Move host-pkgconf dependency to package/pkg-autotools.mk

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Apr 10 12:12:17 UTC 2015

Dear Bernd Kuhls,

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 11:33:39 +0200, Bernd Kuhls wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a reason an autotools-package should not depend on host-pkgconf?
>
> The phrase "host-pkgconf" appears in > 300 packages
>
> $ for i in `find -iname *.mk | grep -v pkgconf`; do grep host-pkgconf $i;
> done | wc -l
> 313
>
> If
>
> $(2)_DEPENDENCIES += host-pkgconf
>
> is added to package/pkg-autotools.mk we could get rid of all those
> dependencies in the packages and avoid nasty build errors in the future.

I think it has been discussed in the past, even though I don't remember
the conclusion. On my side, since I don't like useless dependencies,
but I recognize that we often forget to add host-pkgconf in the
dependencies of a number of autotools packages, I made a proposal last
year: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.uclibc.buildroot/82327.

It checks before building if the package uses PKG_CHECK_MODULES(), and
verifies that the package properly depends on host-pkgconf in this case.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons