[Buildroot] Reducing buildroot compile times by reusing toolchain?

Károly Kasza kaszak at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 10:11:06 UTC 2014

Hi all,

> On top of Thomas Petazzoni's answer, I would like to add that using a
> Buildroot toolchain as external toolchain is not hard at all.
> Basically you have to create a tarball from the output/host/usr
> directory, then specify that tarball as external toolchain and set
> some options.
> It seems this info is not yet in our manual, but we should add that.

I use the very same method for recompiling BR with the same internal
toolchain.
I have a .config file for preparing the toolchain with a custom
BR2_HOST_DIR. After running the
"make toolchain" target, I tar the custom host dir and clean up buildroot
with a simple "make clean". This
of course delete the custom host (toolchain) directory too.
The second .config can simply use the re-extracted toolchain
as BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_PATH.

--

Üdv,
KK