[Buildroot] RFC: CVE analysis

Joshua Kinard kumba at gentoo.org
Tue Sep 23 22:06:05 UTC 2014

On 09/22/2014 16:38, Gustavo Zacarias wrote:
> On 09/22/2014 05:21 PM, Matthew Weber wrote:
>
>> I was curious if anyone has done a script similar to the "make
>> legal-info" that takes a package list and checks it against a CVE
>> database?  We're looking at doing some automated tracking of
>> vulnerabilities with our nightly builds and were at a point of putting
>> something together.
>>
>> It might also be an interesting feature to expose on the Buildroot
>> website.... maybe listing the current vulnerabilities of the last
>> release and the current tip?
>
> Hi.
> I usually track CVEs and bump/fix when appropiate.
> It's mostly a mix of personal scripts, nothing too fancy that i'd like
> normal people to see in the current state :)
> The problem with actively pursuing security fixes is that it needs some
> regular manpower in patching and testing, and that's without considering
> backports (though the package infra is quite stable lately).
> There are outstanding packages that have some severe vulnerabilities
> like cups where i did a call for volunteers to bump/fix without much
> success, and i can only do so much in my free time, with cups being
> somewhat complicated to test because of varying combinations.
> It's not a task that can really be fully automated either because you
> can get a CVE for say PHP that fixes a vulnerability that only affects
> windows operating systems - there must be some context analysis as well.
> I normally try to maintain some format for my security bumps/fixes but
> that's completely informal, like:
>
> Subject: Security bump PACKAGE to version x.y
> Fixes:
> CVE-yyyy-nnnn - short description
>
> But then some other people might catch the bump before myself and there
> goes that.
>
> Something nicer would probably be like the .hash files for packages
> where we could describe the bumps that affect security and the relevant
> CVEs.

I don't know if these two sites have a formal API that's queryable, but you can
generate RSS feeds based on criteria, so maybe something programmatic can be setup:

http://www.cvedetails.com/
http://www.itsecdb.com/oval/

Also, these deal more with cyber-threat information, but has ties into
vulnerability research and are both developed by the MITRE corporation (who
manages the CVE database):

https://stix.mitre.org/
http://taxii.mitre.org/

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS
kumba at gentoo.org
4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And our
lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic