[Buildroot] how to make the Buildroot embedded linux file system persistence?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Sep 16 09:23:30 UTC 2014

Dear Amir,

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:13:55 +0430, Amir wrote:

> I have built an embedded linux using buildroot. after generating
> rootfs.tar file system, I have tested the embedded linux and figured out
> that every change I made to the linux is not taking place after reboot.
>
> my question is: how to enable buildroot linux to have a persistence file
> system and can save changes?
>
> I have generated: rootfs.tar , rootfs.cpio , bzImage of kernel.

Which one are you using? If you've generated a rootfs.cpio, maybe
you've enabled the initramfs option, which as its name suggest is a
filesystem in RAM, which explains why your changes disappear after a
reboot.

Use a filesystem stored on persistent storage, such as a SD card, eMMC,
NAND flash or USB key.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons