[Buildroot] Question about native tools.

ANDY KENNEDY ANDY.KENNEDY at adtran.com
Thu Oct 23 18:42:36 UTC 2014

Figures.  I missed that e-mail conversation.  We had been derailed on
our Linux project during that time frame and I was completely ignoring
the Linux lists to which I subscribe.

I see in that thread a vote to keep it and a vote to remove it.

So, given the split ballot, it was decided to remove it.

Looking through the older code, eg, gcc code, it doesn't look like
there was *that* much support required to keep it up.  I am
possibly over simplifying things, but I wonder why the toolchain
cannot be easily natively built?

Is it that difficult to cross-build gcc and binutils for a target?
Thinking back to when I have natively built a newer version of gcc
and binutils for my systems, it was as simple as ./configure &&
make.  Now, I understand that the build/host/target would need to
be set, but this doesn't seem that hard.  Am I over trivializing
this process?

Before Peter or Thomas asks, no I really do NOT have the time to
maintain this in BuildRoot (I'd have to give up sleeping entirely),
so, no, I don't want it bad enough to maintain it.  :))) I do,
however, want it bad enough for one of you to maintain it :))))!!

Andy