[Buildroot] libdaemons localstatedir /usr/var

Jörg Krause jkrause at posteo.de
Fri Oct 17 00:21:29 UTC 2014

Dear Thomas Petazzoni,
Dear Arnout Vandecappelle,

On 10/12/2014 03:09 PM, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

>> >Yes, it is. There was a discussion on the mailing list long time ago:
>> >
>> >     Making --localstatedir=/var global?
>> >     (http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2011-April/042918.html.)
>> >
>> >And also this one:
>> >
>> >     Bizarre things on the allyespackageconfig build
>> >     (http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2013-May/071856.html)
>   +1 to making it a global pkg-autotools option. Jörg, care to prepare a patch
> for that? Removing the existing --localstatedir should be a separate patch then.

I started with setting --localstatedir=/var globally. There are three
packages which set localstatedir to another directory as /var:

* dhcp: It's save to remove local localstatedir here. Is it used for
setting leases and pid files. All leases and pid files are set as config
options in the dhcp.mk.
* proftpd: Uses localstatedir to set the location of the pid file:

    AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED(PR_RUN_DIR, "`eval echo "${localstatedir}"`")
    AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED(PR_PID_FILE_PATH, "`eval echo
    "${localstatedir}/proftpd.pid"`")

Maybe a patch should set it to?:

    AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED(PR_RUN_DIR, "`eval echo "${localstatedir}/run"`")
    AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED(PR_PID_FILE_PATH, "`eval echo
    "${localstatedir}/run/proftpd.pid"`")

* mysql: localstatedir sets the location for database directories and
other files. Not sure how to handle this.

Do you have any suggestions?

Jörg