[Buildroot] Buildroot 2014.02 : make on raspberry pi failed

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Oct 16 07:56:59 UTC 2014

Dear Daniele,

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 04:25:04 +0000 (UTC), Daniele wrote:

> I've the same problem, have you a solution or some suggestion ?
>
> I run make for a sama5d3 Cortex-A5 target, and I run a 'make clean;make' but
> I got the same error.
>
> Note: all the wrong files (run,lock ..) have the content "../tmp", if I
> remove all those files the next run of make works.
>
> Thanks
> Daniele
>
> mkdir /home/daniele/git/buildroot/output/target/usr/share/doc/sudo
> mkdir /home/daniele/git/buildroot/output/target/var/run
> mkdir: impossibile creare la directory
> "/home/daniele/git/buildroot/output/target/var/run": File già esistente
> make[2]: *** [install-dirs] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/daniele/git/buildroot/output/build/sudo-
> 1.8.10p3/plugins/sudoers'
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/daniele/git/buildroot/output/build/sudo-
> 1.8.10p3'
> make: *** [/home/daniele/git/buildroot/output/build/sudo-
> 1.8.10p3/.stamp_target_installed] Error 2

sudo builds fine here. Could you provide a more complete report that
includes the Buildroot version you're using, and the Buildroot .config
file you're using?

For information, what you call "the wrong files", such
as /var/run, /var/lock and so on are symbolic links to /tmp. This is
done to allow mounting read-only the root filesystem generated by
Buildroot: since /tmp is mounted as a tmpfs (RAM filesystem), it is
read/write, so we link /var/run, /var/lock and a few other places
to /tmp so that applications can continue to write their data even
though the root filesystem is mounted read only.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons