[Buildroot] How to deploy Buildroot's crosscompile toolchain???

Matthew Weber matthew.weber at rockwellcollins.com
Sun Oct 5 14:25:45 UTC 2014

Tal,
On Oct 5, 2014 7:35 AM, "Tal Lubko" <tallubko at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> For some reason with external toolchain it's different...
> I've found out that the right way to do it is to set "Build options -->
Host dir" to the desired path (/opt/<bla_bla>)

There is an open todo to make the buildroot toolchain relocatable.  I think
this might have been discussed at a previous developers meeting (see
meeting notes from last year, i think...).

Beyond the compiler, there are also possible issues with absolute paths in
python scripts, .pc files for pkgconfig, or other scripts installed in the
host folder structure used as host tools. Personally we wrote a script to
handle installing of a sdk(host, legal info and images folders) release
which does the required fixups but still has a limitation of needing a
relocatable toolchain(so we test to make sure it is).

> Thanks for the help
> Tal
>
> ________________________________

configuration without having to
> rebuild the compiler each time after a complete clean of the buildroot
directory.

> Only disadvantage is that you must make the subdirectory in /opt
user-writable.

> Peter
>
> Gesendet: Sonntag, 05. Oktober 2014 um 08:32 Uhr
> Von: "Tal Lubko" <tallubko at yahoo.com>
> An: "buildroot at busybox.net" <buildroot at busybox.net>
> Betreff: [Buildroot] How to deploy Buildroot's crosscompile toolchain???
>

> Hi
>
> I've wanted to ask what is the right way to build and deploy Buildroot's
toolchain to other machines?
> These machines don't have Buildroot to build the toolchain.
>
> Currently (being ignorant about the right way to do it), after building
the toolcahin, I'm just making a tar of output/host and copy it to
other machine. There I'm untarring it to some directory and starting to
cross compile...

> Things seemed to be working when I've worked with an External toolchain
(Sourcery CodeBench). However when I've switched to Buildroot's toolchain,
I got a message about missing libmpc.so.3. Then I've started to wonder what
is the right way to build and deploy the toolchain.