[Buildroot] out-of-tree kernel modules and linux header versions

Bryce Schober bryce.schober at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 17:03:07 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 12:20 AM, Thomas Petazzoni <
thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:

> Why do you simply upgrade, instead of back-porting stuff?

I would, if it *were* simple. Because my target is tied to *very* old
kernel and certain packages, especially Xorg, it is not at all simple. The
infrastructure around Xorg and opengl has changed a lot since 2011.08, and
backporting the extensive list of xorg and related packages would be a lot
of work. Or at least I think it would be... maybe I'm being too
pessimistic. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to spend the time to get
up-to-date and get all the benefits of recent development. But I'm sure you
know how competing priorities go...

Bryce Schober