[Buildroot] new TI kernel version for beaglebone black

Dan Pattison dan.pattison at ethertek.ca
Fri May 30 21:18:26 UTC 2014

Hello All,

I have a question that is probably not 100% buildroot related, but was
hoping to get some help. I am using buildroot to build a kernel and
rootFS for a beaglebone black. Buildroot is awesome and builds
everything fine. The board boots up and all packages work properly.
Unfortunately, USB seems to be badly broken. In the kernel I have USB
driver enabled and USB Announce New Devices turned on. Googling around I
find several people with the same problem, hotplug does not work at all,
and no device I have tried shows up in dmesg or lsusb on cold or warm
boot. A band aid is to use a powered USB hub (have not tried that). Some
guys on the beagleboard.org IRC say to try a newer kernel version (3.14
or >) because beaglebone USB is fixed in newer kernel versions. Current
buildroot beaglebone black kernel version is 3.12.10

In buildroot I used make beaglebone_defconfig.
Under the Kernel menu, Custom Git repository is selected.
The git URL is https://git.ti.com/ti-linux-kernel/ti-linux-kernel.git
The custom repository version is 7f280334068b7c875ade51f8f3921ab311f0c824
The def config is board/beaglebone/linux-3.12.config

How was the custom repository number
(7f280334068b7c875ade51f8f3921ab311f0c824) derived? Looking on the TI
gitorious site, I see they are working on kernel 3.15. How can I make
buildroot use the newer version? How do I find the newer custom
repository version? I tried to find my answer with google, but I must
not be using the correct search term. Please excuse the newbish questions.

Thank you,

--
Dan Pattison
Ethertek Circuits