[Buildroot] root password and dhcp

Gustavo Zacarias gustavo at zacarias.com.ar
Sat May 24 10:15:45 UTC 2014

On 05/23/2014 10:35 PM, cem akpolat wrote:

>> Well, you're somewhat light on details so we're left here to guess.
>> One possibility is that your dnsmasq package has dhcp support disabled,
>> another possibility is that your wlan0 doesn't belong to a proper
>> subnet/hasn't got an ip address configured at all to match that range.
>> Again, i can just guess without some proper information.
>> Regards.
>
> Regarding dnsmasq configuration, I enabled the dhcp support of dnsmasq,
> and dnsmasq actually tries to run dhcp, but the following error arises:
>
> *dnsmasq: failed to bind DHCP server socket: Address already in use*
> *
> *
> At that point, I wonder is there another dhcp server running at the
> background? Even if  this could be the case, dnsmasq stops all dhcp
> server and then restart with respect to the given configurations.
> Apart from dhsmasq package, I added also dhcp-relay and dhcp-server
> which are under dhcp package. Can dhcp-server lead to the conflict in
> this case ?
>
> Thank you for all recommendations, they helped a lot!

Hi.
Remember to copy the mailing list too, someone else might be interested
in the future.
Well, there's your problem then, you enable the dhcp package which acts
as a dhcp server and dnsmasq which does so as well, so you can't have
both doing the same job.
So either you just use one by unselecting the other or if you need both
you'll need to tell each other to not meddle with the interface the
other is using via configuration files (interface=xx in dnsmasq.conf,
for dhcp i believe you need an invocation option for that).
My guess is you are trying both to get a result and this happened, and
that you only want dnsmasq around.
Regards.