[Buildroot] RPi

Alvaro Gamez alvaro.gamez at hazent.com
Fri May 23 09:33:42 UTC 2014

Hi, Pierre, all

I just happen to be (trying) to build an image for a raspberry PI and
I'm running into a hell of problems due to the really not so good
quality of these devices.

This said, I've just run your script to see if it helps with my own
problems and I've got a few remarks:

* The write way to call the script is by passing output/images as
parameter. This should either be the default or at least documented. I
guessed it by reading the error messages when I didn't pass any
parameter

* I just passed your script a wrong path and instead of aborting on
the first error, it continued to try to do its thing. It should end as
soon as an error is detected.

* parted is usually located at /sbin, so you must provide full path in
your script if you don't intend to run it as root.

* ditto with mkfs

* mkfs.fat: warning - lowercase labels might not work properly with
DOS or Windows
I guess this can be avoided

* It tries to search for some files that are not provided in the path you wrote:
cp: cannot stat 'output/images//../../board/raspberrypi/cmdline.txt':
No such file or directory

* You leave a 1.3x extra space for the ext2 partition and define the
partition this long. However, the filesystem doesn't know about this
extra space. You should use resize2fs to let the filesystem expand to
fill the whole partition.

* Final message should include the real output directory of the image:
You just have to do 'dd if=rpi-sdcard.img of=<SD card device>'
wouldn't work because the file is located at output/images/rpi-sdcard.img

* And last but not least, my Raspberry PI wasn't able to boot from the
sdcard flashed with the resulting image. However, I wouldn't say this
is your scripts' fault because I almost sure my raspberry PI is
basically broken, for it only boots with a very specific image/sdcard,
I'm yet to fully diagnose it. However, it would have been nice if your
script had booted in my subpar PI.

Kind regards,

Álvaro Gámez Machado