[Buildroot] [autobuild.buildroot.net] Build results for 2014-05-11

Benoît Thébaudeau benoit.thebaudeau at advansee.com
Thu May 15 12:51:03 UTC 2014

Dear Thomas Petazzoni,

On Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:50:42 AM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2014 23:25:53 +0200, Benoît Thébaudeau wrote:
>
> > > Right. It just papers over the real problem which is building a target
> > > config
> > > test using the host toolchain, and then running it. The patch at
> > > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/348765/ is better, I believe.
> >
> > The issue in my case was that the native toolchain used for the
> > configure test implicitly #included a header file, which triggered a
> > conflict of direct inclusion between the native and cross toolchains
> > header files. Passing --sysroot forces the native toolchain to only
> > use the header files from the cross toolchain, fixing this conflict.
> > This directly addresses the issue without any assumption regarding the
> > cross libc.
>
> Right, but using target headers with the native toolchain is wrong, and
> potentially also very fragile.

True.

> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/348765/ works too, but it removes a
> > configure test and it relies on the "all libc variants we support have
> > the netinet/tcp.h header" assumption, which might become wrong in the
> > future, which is why I didn't choose this solution.
>
> How likely is that to happen? If it does, we will have very clear
> build failures, so we will notice, no?

For this specific test, yes, probably, because of the missing definitions in
Linux, as Baruch pointed out. But for some of the other configure tests, the
script sometimes silently chooses wrong options because of the header files
mix-up, so --sysroot helps here, but it's dirty, and forcing the GLIBC version
in the input options would not fix the other tests.

The root issue is that this configure script is totally broken when
cross-building, so most of its tests would have to be more or less rewritten.

Best regards,
Benoît