[Buildroot] NPTL compile error without MMU (ARM)

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Mar 27 07:21:28 UTC 2014

Dear Sangjung,

On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 16:11:29 +0900, Sangjung wrote:

> On 03/27/2014 03:40 PM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> > Thanks for your report. The problem really looks like a uClibc problem,
> > so I would suggest you to take the uClibc configuration file in
> > output/build/uclibc-<version>/.config, and sent the report to the
> > uClibc developers. I am also on the uClibc mailing list, so I will be
> > able to add additional Buildroot-specific details if requested by the
> > uClibc developers.
>
> Thank you for your quick reply.
> I will also report this issue to uClibc mailing list ASAP.

Excellent, thanks!

> > Outside of this, it is interesting to see that you are looking at the
> > ARM non-MMU support. Do you have an actual hardware platform? In fact,
> > I have been interested by looking into ARM non-MMU support in Buildroot
> > for a long time, but I have never found a hardware platform, or
> > emulated platform, to test things on. If this is something you can help
> > with, I'm pretty sure the ARM non-MMU support would make more
> > significant progress.
>
> Our target device is for very small wearable thing.
> Because of various issue such as power consumption and cost,
> ARM Cortex M (that is MMU-less) series are commonly used.

So I suppose these platforms have external RAM and Flash, right?
Because most of the Cortex-M platforms I've seen have only the internal
RAM and Flash of the Cortex-M processor, and the amount available
internally is usually not sufficient to run Linux.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons