[Buildroot] 2014.05 release cycle: things you can contribute to

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 17:26:34 UTC 2014

Hi,

Buildroot 2014.02 has been released, so what's next?
In this mail I list a number of items you can contribute to, in no
particular order. Together, we can make this release a great success,
as always!

1. If you attended the Buildroot developer days, you may have some
action points assigned to you. Refer to the report [1] for details.
There is at least one action that has not yet been assigned, so even
if you did not attend, there is something you can work on.

2. During the 'patchwork cleanup' sessions and during the buildroot
developer days, we identified several patches in the patchwork queue
that we would like to integrate in buildroot. However, these patches
require some love, ranging from a simple rebase/retest to addressing
comments the patch received. These patches can be recognized because
they are marked as 'Delegated to pdp', refer to the list at [2]. You
are welcome to take one of these patches and resend it to the list
after rework.

3. There are a few open bugs in our bug tracker, and it would be great
if we could close them all before the release of 2014.05. I _really_
believe this is possible. Some of these bugs are package requests that
even have a patch attached, so in this case it suffices to refresh and
test the patch, and resend it to the list. The list of open bugs is at
[3]. Also refer to the latest bug analysis I made [4].

4. We maintain a TODO list at the eLinux wiki [5], which contains
several items. You are welcome to pick an item to work on. Don't
hesitate to discuss the item first on the mailing list or IRC. Do edit
the wiki to indicate when you start working on an item, so we avoid
duplicate efforts.

5. As always, the autobuilders are detecting new problems every day.
With new feature patches being integrated now, the amount of failures
will surely rise again, so this provides many opportunities for you to
contribute. There are daily overview mails sent to the list, and you
can always check the current results at [6]. Statistics are available
at [7].

6. Reviewing and testing patches: with the amount of patches sent to
the list each day, the maintainer has a very hard job in judging which
patches are ready to apply and which aren't. Contributors can greatly
help here by reviewing and testing these patches, and providing the
appropriate Tested-by, Reviewed-by, or Acked-by tags.
I will soon update the manual to clarify the meaning of these tags.

7. Other contributions: obviously you are welcome to contribute with
your own patches, as always.

Thanks to all contributors for their hard and continued work!

[1] http://elinux.org/Buildroot:DeveloperDaysFOSDEM2014
[2] http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/?state=1&delegate=7151
[3] https://bugs.busybox.net/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=buildroot&content=
[4] http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-February/090199.html