[Buildroot] Evaluation of the 2014.02 stabilization cycle

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sat Mar 1 16:25:46 UTC 2014

Dear Thomas De Schampheleire,

On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 17:16:27 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:

> What I liked was:
> - many developers analyzing and fixing autobuild failures. I have seen
> autobuild fixes passing by during the entire month, until the very
> end, and this has made a great improvement in our 'out-of-the-box
> experience'. Looking at the statistics [1], at the beginning of the
> month we were around 50% success rate, while we were able to reach 87%
> at the day of the release!
> Moreover, a number of the remaining problems are already analyzed and
> will be fixed in the next release, although we can expect new failures
> coming in now that the -next branch has been merged into master.
>
> - several improvements to the documentation have been sent. While our
> documentation is already pretty good, things can always improve, so
> these patches were very welcome!
>
> - the fact that patches intended for 2014.02 (be it autobuild fixes,
> documentation improvements, or other fixes) were applied swiftly by
> Peter. Specifically for the autobuild results this was very useful, as
> it allowed each day to show new failures (previously eclipsed by
> existing failures).
>
> - the fact that we closed a large amount of bugs. During the entire
> month of February, we closed 36 bugs [2], and today there are only 16
> bugs remaining [3]! Of these bugs, 7 are new packages.

I fully agree with your positive points analysis. I was also pleased by
the autobuilder results becoming better and better as we were
approaching the release. I believe that during the "development" part
of the cycle, we are already quite good at fixing the easy autobuilder
failures, but we usually leave on the side some of the most complex
problems. It would be good if the work on fixing autobuilder problems
was more regular.

Regarding the bugs, your work on this area has definitely been very
helpful in reducing the number of bugs, killing the very old ones that
we didn't know what to do with.

> - the fact that many feature patches (that never had a chance to enter
> 2014.02) were sent during the stabilization cycle, even by regular
> contributors. While I realize that we cannot expect non-regular
> contributors to respect the standard release cycle, this is not true
> for regular contributors.
> There are two reasons why I find this inconvenient:
>
> 1. The large amount of feature patches clutters the mailing list, in
> the sense that it is more difficult to see which mails/patches are
> relevant for the upcoming release and which are for the next.
>
> 2. During the stabilization month, all the (limited) time that I can
> spent on buildroot is spent on the upcoming release. This means that I
> fully ignore any patch that is not intended for that release, which
> means I won't review it (even though I would review the patch had it
> come at another moment in the release cycle). If other people act the
> same way, this means that patches sent during the stabilization month
> receive less reviews than others.
>
> To conclude, I would prefer if the focus of (almost) all regular
> contributors would be on the stabilization of the release, and the
> ongoing support of users, rather than sending/reviewing patches for
> the next release.

On the other hand, you can't prevent people from continuing to do
development. So if you don't allow them to send their patches to the
list during the "stabilization" phase of the cycle, they would send an
enormous amount of patches at once when the new cycle opens, which
would not be very helpful.

My point of view on this is that we tend to accept much more easily
patches from people who are prompt at fixing autobuilder issues they
have introduced, or other autobuilder issues. So if those people are
smart (and I believe they are!), they will continue to fix autobuilder
problems during the stabilization cycle, to keep the good level of
trust they have from Peter, so that their patches are promptly applied
when the new cycle opens.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons