[Buildroot] Help about gstreamer h264 in buildroot

Marco Trapanese marcotrapanese at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 13:23:35 UTC 2014

Il 21/06/2014 15:04, Thomas Petazzoni ha scritto:
> I don't confirm anything, it just didn't build here, with the error
> messages that I've posted.

Ok, you confirm it doesn't build there. I confirm it doesn't build here.

> You shouldn't try to "skip around", but instead you should help us to
> _fix_ those issues. The support for Qt5+OpenGL is still fairly, and
> since there are multiple OpenGL implementation, generally one for each
> platform, we haven't yet tested and fixed all the possible
> combinations. It is thanks to bug reports provided by users like you
> that we can progressively fix those issues, and provide a build system
> that is more and more capable to build all configurations correctly
> out-of-the-box. Best regards, Thomas

I understand your point-of-view.
I hope you also understand the frustration of a normal user which try to
configure its own embedded system.

In the website of buildroot I read:

"Is very easy to set up, thanks to its menuconfig, gconfig and xconfig
configuration interfaces, familiar to all embedded Linux developers.
Building a basic embedded Linux system with Buildroot typically takes
15-30 minutes."

I never had a working buildroot environment since several months! Of
course I know I'm not an expert so I cannot fix the bugs by myself.
I'm talking about a standard embedded systems (i.MX6 or RPi) with very
common packages (Qt5, gstreamer).

I also understand no charge is required and in fact I don't expect
anything from the buildroot staff! But for a user it's not an option to
delay for days or weeks a project because buildroot doesn't build.

So I'm just wondering if it is possible to know which combination of
kernel/buildroot version leads to a working environment with basic
packages. For my current project based upon RPi I need only:

- common utility: ssh (dropbear or openssh), lighttpd, etc (no problem
here!)
- Qt5 (all modules, egl platform)
- gstreamer with mp3, mp4 h264 and qtmultimedia support

By the way, I don't need Qt5.3, I could use 5.2 as well.

Best regards
Marco