[Buildroot] Some files to be copied to root file systems such as openvpn keys, conf

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Jun 10 10:21:21 UTC 2014

Hello,

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 11:53:36 +0200, cem akpolat wrote:

> The way that you explained is quite logical, however, I want to ask at that
> point what is the main reason behind the creation of the "Root Overlay",
> because for all packages and files , it is clearly seen that your defined
> method will work. for instance I can easily create a package called
> "toBeInstalledToRootFs" and then put all of them under this folder along
> with an appropriate Makefile.

The reason for having the "rootfs overlay" feature was simply to
factorize what a lot of people were doing in their post-build script:
copy a entire overlay of files to $(TARGET_DIR). Just like the
post-build script, it may not address *all* use-cases, but it certainly
address a good number of use cases.

I believe you can continue to use the rootfs overlay mechanism to copy
your files, and set use a custom permission table to adjust their
permission when the root filesystem image is created. It's probably
better than creating a complete package just for your files.

Thanks,

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons