[Buildroot] [RFCv1 0/4] Generating a graph of the size installed by each package

Will Wagner will_wagner at carallon.com
Sat Jun 7 21:54:38 UTC 2014

On 07/06/2014 22:46, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I gave a training this week, and one of the question I had was how to
> analyze the size of the things that are present on the root
> filesystem. And I thought that Buildroot was lacking a tool to help
> with this. Therefore, the following set of commits implement a script
> that generates a pie chart of the size contribution of each package to
> the target root filesystem.

Would certainly be useful in buildroot, your idea looks good.

> To see an example of the generated pie chart, see:
>
>    http://free-electrons.com/~thomas/pub/buildroot/graph-size.pdf
>
> The implementation consists in adding a global instrumentation hook
> that registers which files are installed by each package. A limitation
> of the current implementation is that when a file is installed by a
> package A and then overriden by package B, the mechanism will assume
> the file was installed by package A. Suggestions to welcome on how to
> solve this in a reasonably simple way.

Can you not record the timestamp the first time you see the file and see
if it has changed at the end. I appreciate a bash script to do this is
going to be pretty hard.

Regards
Will

Will Wagner                                     will_wagner at carallon.com
Development Manager                      Office Tel: +44 (0)20 7371 2032
Carallon Ltd, Studio G20, Shepherds Building, Rockley Rd, London W14 0DA