[Buildroot] autoconf caching

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sat Jun 7 09:04:32 UTC 2014

Dear Dallas Clement,

On Fri, 6 Jun 2014 11:14:15 -0500, Dallas Clement wrote:

> Hi Thomas.  Thanks very much for looking at my configuration.  I think you
> certainly nailed it.
> I have a lot of packages, and perl and mysql especially are taking a long
> time.  My build recipes
> for both of these are a year or two out of date.  In fact, my perl recipe
> is still using qemu to build
> instead of perl cross.  Hopefully updating this recipe will help some,
> though as you pointed out
> it is still using MAKE1.

Right. I'll send a separate e-mail to François Perrad about this (our
Perl guy), because it seems like other build systems are building Perl
in parallel.

> Yep, very speedy SSDs and 64 GB for RAM.  Because of all the serialization
> in this build process,
> building from a large ram disk seems to make little difference.

Right. So you have a good build configuration, there's not much we can
do here.

> > There is another thing that strikes out in your configuration: there
> > are many packages that we don't have in Buildroot, and that don't seem
> > to be specific to your company or project. What about submitting your
> > new packages upstream?
>
> Yes, I can certainly do that.  There's a lot here.  Much of it is obscure.
> Please let me know which ones you are most
> interested in.

Could you make a list of the packages that you've added, and that are
open-source? I'm pretty sure a majority of them could potentially be
useful to have in Buildroot.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons