[Buildroot] autoconf caching

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Jun 6 06:13:27 UTC 2014

Dear Dallas Clement,

On Thu, 5 Jun 2014 17:06:48 -0500, Dallas Clement wrote:

> You bet.  Please see attached.  I'm in the process of fully upgrading over
> to latest buildroot / master from 2012.08 so there is probably still some
> deprecated stuff in my .config.

I didn't spot anything really wrong in there. host-gdb looks a bit
useless since most likely your external toolchain already has a
cross-debugger integrated. Other than that, it appears that:

 * Your configuration has a fairly large number of packages, some of
   them being fairly big stuff (mysql, perl, etc.)

 * The build time of perl is really large. Maybe there's something that
   could be done to improve this. Looking at perl.mk in Buildroot, I
   see that it uses $(MAKE1), so the build of this package is not
   parallelized.

 * The installation time of host-mysql seems quite large as well, I
   don't really see why, especially since the mysql host install
   commands copy just one file in Buildroot.

Really, other than these little details, I believe you're simply
affected by the size of your configuration in terms of the number of
packages.

> My build machine is a HP server with 8 core Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2637 v2
> @ 3.50GHz.  The OS is RHEL 6.4 64 bit.  No virtual machine and no NFS.

Seems a fairly decent setup. You have enough RAM, and a good storage
system (ideally based on SSDs) ?

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons