[Buildroot] Silencing the build

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Thu Jul 17 20:29:41 UTC 2014

Thomas, All,

On 2014-07-17 20:31 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni spake thusly:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 19:40:46 +0200, Fabio Porcedda wrote:
>
> > > Hum, yes, but why? The entire build process is anyway very noisy, so is
> > > there really a point in silencing specifically this part? What is the
> > > ultimate goal you're trying to achieve here?
> >
> > My ultimate goal is to be able using the "-s" flags to silence all
> > parts, because sometimes i just want to build and view only ">>> *"
> > messages, errors, warning without anything else.
> >
> > As example the "toolchain-external" target already do that when the
> > "-s" option is used.
> >
> > I've silenced only this part because it was easy and it's anyway an improvement.
> >
> > Maybe i can work on silencing other parts too if the feature is desired.
>
> Ok, thanks for the explanation.
>
> I guess we need to decide whether having a fully silent build in "make
> -s" is a goal we should aim at. It seems like a good idea to me, but I
> don't have a really strong opinion about this.
>
> What do others think about this?

Here's what I use for a silent build:

    brmake() {
        make "${@}" \
    }

Then calling 'brmake' instead of 'make', will get you only the >>> lines.

Of course, does not work if you invoke a CLI configurator, either
directly, or as a consequence of a missing .config. I basically
always call it with no argument, otherwise, I use plain 'make'.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.