[Buildroot] Raspberry Pi: recommendations for web kiosk

Eric Le Bihan eric.le.bihan.dev at free.fr
Thu Jul 3 21:07:14 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 11:04:05AM +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 7:01 PM, Eric Le Bihan
> <eric.le.bihan.dev at free.fr> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 03:15:25PM +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
> >> Hi Eric,

> >> This is not a commercial product, but rather an internal information
> >> screen used on the workfloor. So writing custom applications, which I
> >> assume is quite some work, is not acceptable. I am hoping for a more
> >> or less out-of-the-box solution...
> > Well, thanks to QML and QtWebkit, that is pretty doable. I hacked a quick
> > example at https://github.com/elebihan/webkiosk, inspired by the Qt examples.
> >
> > AFAIK, running it with the '-platform eglfs' option should do the trick (not
> > tested, my RPi is out of order :-( )
> >

> Is this a QT4 or QT5 project?
> I enabled qt5 in buildroot, together with the qt5webkit and qt5quick1
> packages, and then ran qmake in your webkiosk project. However, 'qml'
> and 'quick' modules are not found.
> How is this supposed to work?

It's a Qt5 project. I added a package for webkiosk in my external
customization for Buildroot [1], as well as a configuration for building an
image for RPi (demo_webkiosk_rpi_defconfig). The "elebihan/qt5wayland" branch
of my Buildroot repo [2] should be used, because a patch is needed to build
qt5base with EGLFS support [3].

Though the program runs smoothly on x86 and the build is successful, executing
the program on the target ends up with a black screen... The command used is:

  $ webkiosk -platform eglfs

I'll investigate as soon as I'll understand why I can not use my USB keyboard
and the Ethernet connection as the same time (D'Oh! Not convenient for
debugging)...

> Looking at the sources in qt5quick1, I don't see any reference to the
> installation of a 'quick' module, only of 'declarative'.
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas

Best regards,
ELB