[Buildroot] Wrong installation path?

Marco Trapanese marcotrapanese at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 08:45:17 UTC 2014

Hello,
I'm trying to get lirc works on my buildroot environment. Looking at
package/lirc/src I see the S70lircd script has a lot of hardcoded paths,
i.e.:

if [ -f /etc/lirc/hardware.conf ];then
         . /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
fi

if [ ! -f /etc/lirc/lircd.conf ] || grep -q "^#UNCONFIGURED"
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf; then
         if [ "$1" = "start" ]; then

The lirc.mk instead contains the following:

define LIRC_INSTALL_TARGET_SCRIPTS
         mkdir -p $(TARGET_DIR)/etc/init.d
         $(INSTALL) -m 0755 package/lirc/src/S70lircd
$(TARGET_DIR)/etc/init.d/
         $(INSTALL) -m 0755 package/lirc/src/hardware.conf
$(TARGET_DIR)/etc/
         $(INSTALL) -m 0755 package/lirc/src/lircd.conf $(TARGET_DIR)/etc/
endef

In my opinion the destination directory should be $(TARGET_DIR)/etc/lirc/
Is there any reason why /lirc/ is missing? I mean: I am sure that the
package has worked for those who have uploaded.

The second question is more generic. I can't still understand when I
have to learn about buildroot and  when about the specific package.
For example, the lirc documentation says I should find a /dev/lirc
device if I'm using udev.
But on my target (which has udev!) there is no such a device.

Where should I look at? How to know if I missed something in the
buildroot/kernel configuration or just in the package (lirc)
configuration files?

Thanks
Marco