[Buildroot] Project layout : where to put the .config files

Jeremy Rosen jeremy.rosen at openwide.fr
Thu Jan 30 14:10:03 UTC 2014

> > I would gladly submit my projet to upstream too, but once again
> > buildroot (so far) only takes minimal configuration to set up
> > boards, not complete projects.
> >

> Agreed on that point -
>
> Buildroot is only a project component, one that builds a
> populated, root file system.
>
> So far in the evolution of Buildroot, the other project
> components required to fully define a project have been
> user supplied.
>
> It has never been a complete project build system.
>
> Which is the use case that you want to consider.
> One that certainly deserves conversation.

yup, I like the way you present it.

you can have a look at the project I mentionned above,
with post-install scripts and overlays I am able to
make a complete project managed with buildroot, that's
why I focused on the .config aspect which is the part
I am not entirely happy with

> If my summary above is even close to an understanding
> of the use case you are proposing, then - - -
>
> Prior to your question of "where to put the .config files?",
> I think there is a higher level question:
> "How to support project definition files?"

the Makefile in my project fills that role (iiuc
what you mean) it is where I define where I want my buildfiles
to go (by defining O=) and where I want my config files to go
(by defining BR2_EXTERNAL and BR2_DEFCONFIG)

> I.E: To make Buildroot the central control point for the
> other components that make up a complete project.
>
> Perhaps a: BR_EXTERNAL/sub-tree ?
> Perhaps a: BR_PROJECT tree ?
>
> Keeping in mind that we do not want to upset the world
> of users that use Buildroot commercially.

yes, but i'm pretty sure most of us would be glad to have a
"clean way" to do a complete project under buildroot

> For instance:
> The subject of "are the .config files 'required public' files?"
> The current set-up leaves that answer to the end user with
> commands that will include them in the 'public' buildroot tree.

I'm not sure what you mean here... I'm mainly thinking in term
of project organisation. if the .config is considered derived
from buildroot then the exact position doesn't matter. I have
to make it public, and usually in another way than by upstreaming
since this is a complete project and not a board defconfig...