[Buildroot] Project layout : where to put the .config files

Jeremy Rosen jeremy.rosen at openwide.fr
Thu Jan 30 12:34:31 UTC 2014

----- Mail original -----
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:53:58 +0100 (CET)
> Jeremy Rosen <jeremy.rosen at openwide.fr> wrote:
>
> > Buildroot is currently in the process of cleanly separating files
> > that are generated by buildroot and are throwaway files (in the
> > output directory) from files that are configuration files (the
> > BR2_EXTERNAL directory)
> >

> Are you sure of that?
>
> The discussion that I have seen here is that BR2_EXTERNAL tree
> is for the "proprietary" files, not just configuration files.

That's was my understanding,yes...

> Note:
> Here "proprietary" is used as a generalization for the
> portion of the overall build tree that is not required to be
> made public.

well, let's use another term. .config is not about having
close source stuff in buildroot, it's about the configuration
of a project. The project I am building is here :
https://github.com/Openwide-Ingenierie/raspaudio
it's entirely free, but it's a livingroom audio station
for my home, and buildroot only upstreams board
defconfigs which are defined as the minimum setup to
get the hardware to work correctly.

I am in a different use-case here, I am building a complete
appliance using buildroot. the defconfig approch doesn't
really suit me and this as nothing to do with license.

> And:
> This list has already had the discussion over how the .config
> files should be considered.
> I.E: Are they some of the "required public" files to meet the
> requirements of Section 3 of the GPLv2 license.

That's a legal issue, i'm discussing the organisational aspect.

how to organize a project that is based on build root but is not
a new board (in my case it's a raspberry-pi based firmware)

I am pretty certain that I'm a different use-case, one that is
not properly documented. I'm trying it out and once I have found
a way to deal with it i'll submit any patch/doc changes needed.

I would gladly submit my projet to upstream too, but once again
buildroot (so far) only takes minimal configuration to set up
boards, not complete projects.